Monday 5 April 2010

Swearing


Swearing is a common thing in the UK. I swear, my sisters swear and both my parents swear. Some people think swearing is insulting and rude. Swearing can easily become a habit and generally a bad habit. On average we swear 80-90 words each day, so how can people think it is rude and insulting?? Many people swear when they have hurt thenselves to help with the pain. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/5803300/Swearing-can-reduce-the-feeling-of-pain.html

I think this newspaper is right many people swear when having hurt themselves. I do, my mum and dad do so. You must pick up the habit of swearing from someone?
Walter Bagehot states "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do" I know swearing is wrong and I know I shouldn't do it but I do. I think the reason I swear is because it's a way of saying something with something added on the end. The reason a lot of people swear is becuse of the attention that there get from swearing. I still get told off for swearing whether it is at my sister or even my parents. The funny thing about this is my mum or dad normally swear when telling me off. Swearing is something I picked up from my mum and dad. I think children swear to get attention, to prove independence and to gain peer acceptances. I think children that swear are bad but the question is where do children get the bad language from?

Now when famous people swear it is big news so when people swear on radio it is going to get complaint from listens. Here is a story in a national newspaper about a radio presenter swearing on air.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7545091/Nicky-Campbell-shocks-Radio-5-Live-listeners-by-swearing.html

I love swearing and I think as i have gone to university I am swearing more and more everday. I think it is a way to say what I think and to say what I feel. So I'm not going to stop swearing it's just when i go home I will not swear as much as I normally would at university. Here is a video of Stephen fry saying why he loves swearing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM



No comments:

Post a Comment